Friday, August 31, 2012

Crepes with Caramelized Bananas


Crepes are something I've always wanted to make and I was always hesitant because everyone always seemed to be making a big deal over how difficult they were to execute properly. So I went searching for an easy to follow recipe and found one but modified the ingredients based on a suggestion from a commenter.  If you follow the directions, you too can achieve this yumminess! 

Crepes

Ingredients
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons melted butter
Directions
  1. Sift the flour and salt together into a blender. Add the rest of the ingredients. Blend until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
  2. Heat a skillet over medium-hight heat and brush with oil. Pour 1/4 cup of batter into pan, tilting to completely coat the surface of the pan. Cook 2 to 5 minutes, turning once, until golden. Repeat with remaining batter. 
 Tips
  • Instead of using oil to coat the pan, I used nonstick spray before each crepe. I'm not sure if you'd need to do this for each crepe if you had a super nice nonstick pan. So just use your judgment. I was so afraid of them sticking, I probably overdid it a little with the spray.
  • If you have a stick blender you can make this in a bowl and mix it with your stick blender or you can go old school and whisk this until you get all the lumps out! 
  • These cook really fast, so do not leave them! 
  • The great thing about crepes is that they're so versatile! You can fill them with savory or sweet ingredients. I was going for dessert crepes so I filled these with caramelized bananas. To make the the bananas I heated 1/4 cup brown sugar with 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat in a skillet and let it go until it just started to caramelize. Then I threw in a pinch of cinnamon and salt and the chopped bananas and only left in on the heat long enough to evenly coat the bananas. 



I just love how pillowly soft sifted flour looks!

I'm trying to be one of those fancy food bloggers today and documenting the steps! 
I used a stick blender so that's why the batter is in a bowl. 
 I really do love crepes! 

 Here's the crepe all put together with the bananas! Also desert crepes just have to have whipped cream! 
That's all for this week folks! I hope you all go out and make lots of yummy crepes now! Happy cooking and crafting! ♥  

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing! It reminds me of bananas foster :) The hubby and I have been making savory crepes for dinner lately. I think it may be about time for us to treat ourselves to a sweet crepe like this one!

    ReplyDelete